Saturday, April 9, 2011
I have been out today making a doll with friends. Textiles is my other love, I offered to bring along something for morning tea. An offer gratefully accepted by the hostess.
I made my Spice Cake, I got the recipe from my Mother and changed and fiddled with it until I had something I liked.
We had the leftovers tonight with some Creme Anglaise (custard). This is a quick melt and mix cake. I have also served the cake with pineapple poached in a rum syrup and cream.
Caribbean Spice Cake
1 cup sultanas
1 cup water
125 grams butter
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon mixed spice
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 ¾ cup self-raising flour
1. Preheat oven to 180° Celsius. Grease and line 15cm x 30 cm tin.
2. Simmer sultanas in water for 15 minutes.
3. Stir in butter, sugar and spices. Leave to cool.
4. When cool stir in beaten eggs, nuts and flour.
5. Pour into tin and bake for 25 minutes or until cooked.
6. Leave for 5 minutes and then remove from tin and cool on rack.