Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Memory Food

I am feeling a bit nostalgic today, thinking on things I would like to change and things I wouldn't change. All the steps that have led to me being who I am. Memories good and bad. That led me to thinking on when I worked as a chef in an Italian restaurant,how we would start each day with a loaf of fresh bread and butter and a big mug of freshly brewed coffee. Lunch time was either really early or after the lunch rush and usually pizza. My favorite was a simple base with some olive oil and cheese grated over, when it came out of the oven the pizza guy would spread it with freshly sliced tomato, anchovies and basil and we would stand in the kitchen and eat it straight away. Good times, back when I was 15 years younger and could still eat whatever I wanted.
This led to me having a huge desire for just that pizza, but I certainly didn't want to wait for the dought to rise etc, so I pulled out a tried and true recipe.
Savoury Scone Loaf.
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon mixed italian herbs
1 cup full fat cream
2 tablespoons grated parmesan
1 cup grated tasty cheese
2 tomatoes finely sliced
3 leaves of basil shredded
anchovies to taste
Set aside 1/2 the grated cheese.
Mix all the other ingredients together. Mix well and knead it lightly in the bowl.


Press out onto a sheet of bake paper and sprinkly the top with the reserved grated cheese.








Bake in a 200° Celsius oven on the top shelf for 15 - 20 minutes or until cooked.
As soon as you take it out of the oven spread the basil, tomatoes and anchovies if you are using them onto the hot scone loaf. Eat straightaway

1 comment:

Renata said...

Wow! that sounds just delicious! I love making pizza dough and I will remember to do this next time!