Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

Cassolet


This month the Daring Cooks are making Cassolet. Which is a huge pot of meat slow cooked in fat and then mixed with beans and cooked again. It is a classic French dish but I piked out and didn't make it. I did do a slow cooked vegie casserole. No fat involved. I will not maintain my weight loss with food like this and G won't eat it at all so I just couldn't face it here in the middle of Summer. I might make it in the middle of winter when the kids are all coming for dinner. They'll love it.

Recipe Sources:
Cassoulet by Anthony Bourdain and Michael Ruhlman as featured on the Travel Channel’s “No Reservations”
Vegetarian Cassoulet by Gourmet Magazine, March 2008
Thirty Minute Cassoulet by Jacques Pepin’s Fast Food My Way, KQED
Chicken Confit (Using Olive Oil) by Emeril Lagasse, via Food Network
Garlic Confit from Saveur, Issue #129
Leek Confit by Molly Wizenberg, as seen in Bon Appetit

Blog Checking Lines: Our January 2011 Challenge comes from Jenni of The Gingered Whisk and Lisa from Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives. They have challenged the Daring Cooks to learn how to make a confit and use it within the traditional French dish of Cassoulet. They have chosen a traditional recipe from Anthony Bourdain and Michael Ruhlman.
You can go to the Daring Kitchen and have a look at it if you want too but I couldn't stand the thought of it at the moment.

3 comments:

india flint said...

thanks for swinging by!

naomi {@bakersroyale} said...

Your slow cooked veggie casserole looks lovely. I love cassoulet, but I agree way too fattening and way too time consuming to make.

Renata said...

I was in a steaming hot Brazilian Summer, but arrived in cold winter Korea just in time to make the cassoulet, it was really delicious!
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm glad to hear that you're trying my tangerine cake. I'd love to know how it comes out!